Saturday, April 14, 2007

If everyone would live by imagining that something had just happened in the lives of the people they encounter, the world would be a better place. Today, Jim and I were driving to Pekin. He went to turn from Springfield Road onto Broadway, and paused for about 5 seconds more than usual to make sure no oncoming traffic was approaching. He was just trying to be careful, aside from the fact that our minds were elsewhere, as we'd just been talking about losing our son. A man waiting for us to turn honked at us, threw his arms up, obviously cussed at us, and gave us the finger. We were on our way to buy a dress for me to wear to Sawyer's funeral. I could not believe that someone would treat us in that way for something so stupid and silly as waiting an extra 5-10 seconds to cross the street. I know he didn't realize that we were going through pain . . .but what if he assumed we might be? What if we all went through life treating people with care and tenderness? What if we just assumed that people might be hurting and shouldn't be treated like crap for no reason?

Also, Jim and I have been getting so sick and tired of all the meaningless, ridiculous stuff people complain about . . .the price of gas, the way they had to wait in line at WalMart, their weight, their new haircut. I just don't get it anymore. I know I used to be that way, but after what we've been through, we can't do that anymore. We know what it's like to truly experience real grief and pain, and the little things don't seem so important anymore. Who cares if you're fat or thin in the face of losing your child?

I don't know. I just wanted to share these ideas tonight. Treat people with kindness. Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't freak out because someone is driving too slow, or you get cut off in traffic. Don't complain about stupid stuff. Just cherish life and the people you love, because you won't have them forever.

That's all.

No comments: